On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 12:28 PM, Mark F <azday...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What I'm wondering is whether you guys ever evaluate Mint Xfce and consider
> evolving the desktop in that direction? Is it ever even discussed?

I haven't done a personal evaluation of Mint Xfce, but we absolutely
are continually evaluating and sorting through feedback from users on
mailing lists and social media.

Armed with this information, I bring up pain points at meetings, we
adjust our themes and wallpapers and each cycle when we evaluate our
default applications and other choices, we are able to make choices
that benefit the most number of users.

The biggest struggle is that this is all very subjective. Even in this
thread, you have opinions about what should be changed, but Jack has a
different idea, and they are very frequently opposite.

We also have to consider the direction of user environments in
general. For instance, the introduction of Whisker by default was
balked at by some in the beginning, with a lot of support requests
about how to return to the old menu. Today most users are quite happy
with it since finding things by searching for them is commonplace on
our phones, tablets, etc and now we've moved on to discussing how to
improve the behavior of it.

Finally, it's important to remember that we're all volunteers and our
time is limited :) Your feedback is great and adds to this wealth of
information we can use to make decisions about our priorities and
direction, but we are quite limited in what we an done. Our
development team is doing the work of making sure software is packaged
and updated, whereas projects that use our packages (like Mint Xfce)
can focus their development efforts exclusively on making improvements
based on their own user feedback on top of that.