Re USB:

May not be the issue you're dealing with but beware:

Newer laptops esp. ones with weirdly tiny ac adapter power supplys do
not have the power in their USB ports to drive certain devices. So let's
say you try a long-distance USB wifi adapter with a 20ft cable (w/ a big
integrated panel antenna). It don't work - a total mystery since the
chip's supported etc... so then try using it with a POWERED USB hub -
it'll work... just an aside here...

http://www.fastmail.com - IMAP accessible web-mail