Hi Fred and/or Len or anybody in the know,

Supposing that you are writing a program that might want to open a
browser, say to open a help file located somewhere on the web, what
api would you use, in Xubuntu, to know what browser to use, and what
the calling convention was?

Or, in other words, if it's hard for a programmer to know how to look
up the user's favorite browser, there will probably be programs
popping up here and there where each one makes its own guess about
what browser to use.  :)

In this particular case, i did a google search for 'api
site:xubuntu.org' (without the quotes), and came up with 6 matches,
none of which looked promising.

I also couldn't find anything on xubuntu.org by directly clicking
around on their site, although that could certainly just be my own
ineptness.

So i think that programs should follow any preferences the user has
made known to the system, and programmers wil be very happy to make
this happen, but as a practical matter, there has to be some easily
discovered documentation on what the api is for getting this
information ---- even if it's just a pointer to another website (as
in: "to find preferences in xubuntu, just follow the guidelines in
ubuntu.com://path/to/api/docs").

dan