Will,

I feel for you but as Victor has said, there simply isn't a way of running
Word on Linux the way you want to.  I've used Word since Word 2 in the
early 90s and want to things with it that seem not to be available in Libre
Office writer (try stacking images within text boxes within a table, for
example - I do this often in Word for specific layout effects).

I have had a copy of Office for Apple waiting to be loaded on
"Mission-Control"'s machine for over a year without being allowed to do so,
so can't comment on how good word is on the Apple platform.

When I have time to get back to learning and using Linux, I'll probably put
a virtual Windows machine on solely for Word, of which I have several older
but legal versions laying around.

Regards,

David Walland