On 01/13/2017 02:24 AM, pereira wrote:
> FWIW, I use Libreoffice whenever someone in the MS Windows world
> sends me a document in .doc or .docx format. So far I've had no
> problems with sending them back documents made by Libreoffice and
> exported into docx (which actually tends to shorten the file length
> compared to Libreoffice's native format).
>
> Still, I vastly prefer writing in TeX.

Yes, I recommend LaTeX for formatting any large-scale or complex
document. It is hugely more reliable and powerful than any
wordprocessor, and has the advantages that it runs identically on any
platform, and that there is a huge support ecosystem of people using it.
It's also free software, in both senses of the phrase.

(Actually, for writing and editing a complex book or thesis, I would
prefer XML, which can be transformed to LaTeX for formatting. But this
is still not easy, as the XML editors out there are designed for
experts, not for authors.)

///Peter