On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 09:34:59PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 22:48:51 +0000
> Peter Flynn <pe...@silmaril.ie> wrote:
>
> Markdown is very limited, but what it does it does well, fast, and easy
> for the author to read without conversion on every glance (or that
> horror of horrors, WYSIWYG). I think I can add paragraph character
> styles, within the format of Markdown, with low-distraction tags. The
> result would be a Markdown doc that I could parse as XML (perhaps after
> an HTML to XML conversion), with the ability to incorporate any
> arbitrary character or paragraph style you want.
>
> Although this can't, by itself, handle book specialties such as
> footnotes and bibliographies, it can create (I assume) XHTML that can
> easily be converted to web, ePub, or LaTeX, with all appearance ruled
> by CSS or LaTeX stylesheets.

reStructuredText is a markup laguage (i.e. it's similar to Markdown)
but is designed for the job.  It's quite readable in its native form
and has conversion software for (I think, I haven't actually checked)
HTML, LateX and others.

See:- http://docutils.sourceforge.net

I use it quite a lot for writing my own documentation and notes.

--
Chris Green