On Sun, 14 May 2017 14:12:18 +0530, Subhadip Ghosh wrote
>On Sunday 14 May 2017 07:29 AM, Joao Monteiro wrote:
>> [snip] ZX Spectrum
>> [snip]they all required the use of the command line in one way or
>> another, to edit files, change their contents here or there, save
>> them and rebooting. All nice and well, but [...]

Hi,

don't think too much, you are simply new to Linux, but since you are
from my generation Sinclair QL, ZX Spectrum, C64 etc., you will get
used to Linux very fast. IMO you should use command line as much as
possible. You are simply not used to the logion shell bash, but if you
don't use a file manager and instead start handling files by command
line, you quickly get used to it and it becomes outlandish to use a GUI
file manager and after a while it becomes outlandish to use a GUI for
even more advanced tasks.

>Thanks for sharing this very interesting story. For the most part, I
>do agree to the points you mentioned about casual computer users not
>caring enough about the installation details and just wanting things
>to work out of the box. I do feel that the Linux world is slowly
>marching to that point.

Yesno, there are different distros for different target groups. Ubuntu
is an OOTB distro, but this comes with pitfalls, e.g. the policy to
start everything that could be auto-started by default often is
unwanted by power users. I don't want to bother you with all the
details. There are at least two major approaches, the "user-friendly"
and the "user-centric KISS principle" approach.

Linux is _not_ a replacement for Windows, it's an operating system with
a completely different approach. Windows and Linux are _not_
competitors.

Regards,
Ralf

PS:

Unfortunately roxterm is discontinued, without doubts it was the best
terminal emulation. I still prefer the broken roxterm over all other
terminal emulations, but I'm uncertain if it still makes sense to
migrate from xfce4-terminal to roxterm. However, consider to take a look
at different terminals, since xfce4-terminal might be less comfortable,
depending on the work-flow.