Getting closer!

Here's what I've done.  I went here...

https://launchpad.net/~tuxonice/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

...and tried this:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tuxonice/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt install linux-generic-tuxonice tuxonice-userui

I also had installed the hibernate package:

sudo apt install hibernate

Folliowing instructions under "Update: Hibernation using a swap file
on 17.04", here...

https://askubuntu.com/questions/768136/how-can-i-hibernate-on-ubuntu-16-04

I changed one line in the grub file lo this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="no_console_suspend initcall_debug
resume=/dev/sda1 resume_offset=991232"

(You might have a different resume and certainly a different offset.)

and I ran update-grub.

After that pm-hibernate did nothing.  Running "Hibernate" from the
"Log Out" menu did nothing.  (In these cases it seems like "nothing"
is actually about a microsecond of hibernation with no power off.)
But "sudo hibernate-disk" was getting really close -- it would power
off fine, and it would seem to resume perfectly, but it would be
frozen.  So I would see the same thing on the screen as before
hibernation, but the keyboard and mousepad would have no effect, so
I'd have to power off to reboot.

Anyway that's where it's at, but it's still no good.

On the bright side, I used suspend, left the laptop for 90 minutes and
brought it back up.  I had only used 2% of battery.  Also, it was
practically instantaneous.  So I'll be using suspend a lot more than
hibernate, but I would like to be able to hibernate my laptop if
possible.

Best,
Mike