On Friday, July 07, 2017 06:34 AM, Peter Flynn wrote:
On 07/06/2017 03:05 PM, Joao Monteiro wrote:
I won't ask anybody to painfully type the instructions for me... I
just ask that someone please post a link to "where" can I read and
learn about how to do it, as I'm sure there's such a way in linux...

@Joao,

There're *lots* of information out there, if you just fire up your favourite search engine. :-)

Just off my head, arch wiki has some good articles, IMHO,

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/System_backup
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Synchronization_and_backup_programs

I learnt a lot from Curtis Preston's book 'Backup & Recovery'. Some may consider it dated as it was before the age of clouds. The title itself is already instructive.

the 'man' command will display the manual page, eg
man tar
man rsync

I use grsync, the graphical interface to rsync, but...

as a "batch-like" manner...

This is a separate question. Once you have worked out the correct
command for what you want to do, you can store it in a utility called
cron and have it run in batch mode at predetermined times. Use the
command 'crontab' to do this; man 5 crontab will explain the format of a
crontab entry.

grsync can export the rsync command it uses, so here's mine: I back up
my home directory to an external USB disk mounted at /media/peter/backup
I exclude all the SVN repositories listed in repos because the repos get
backup up independently; I also exclude a list of directories which have
huge amounts of transient or machine-created metadata which I don't want
taking up time and space.

rsync -r -t -p -o -g -v --progress -l -s \
    --exclude-from=/home/peter/repos \
    --exclude=Downloads/ \
    --exclude=.thunderbird/ \
    --exclude=.cache/ \
    --exclude=.config/ \
    --exclude=.cxoffice/ \
    --exclude=.mozilla/ \
    --exclude=.wine/ \
    --exclude=.thumbnails/ \
    --exclude=.rvm/ \
    /home/peter  /media/peter/backup

The options grsync added for me in the first line can be seen in the man
page for rsync.

It is a pleasant surprise to see most respondents suggest rsync :-), at least up to this moment.

I use it also but in the form of a wrapper called rsnapshot. It's available in most linux distributions and in ubuntu too, of course. The official web site is here:

http://rsnapshot.org/

Wish you a happy linux journey with no loss of a single byte of datum,
-- st