On 07/06/2017 10:05 AM, Joao Monteiro wrote:
Question:

Windows versions aside, I was used to use the command prompt to select
which files I wanted to backup both from my own as well as from any
other user of the same machine and/or network.

In Linux, though, I haven't yet figured how to do such a selective
backup as a "batch-like" manner...

I am amazed that NOBODY in this thread-of-discussion has mentioned either Areca or BackInTime. Areca is not straight-forward to install, but installation is certainly feasible. It is probably the best OSS backup for the Linux desktop.

Sincerely,
Paul Bain
(703) 870-5154

I won't ask anybody to painfully type the instructions for me... I just
ask that someone please post a link to "where" can I read and learn
about how to do it, as I'm sure there's such a way in linux...

On a slight different note... I have been reading all the recent
problems from various users... and I'm lost...

Coz I'm running xubuntu xfce on 4 different machines right now - 3
laptops, 1 custom tower with intel core i7, ATI Radeon, Asus motherboard
- and I don't have ONE single glitch anywhere....

That said... after every install on each one of them, I go to a page
that I saved (google "10 things to do after installing xubuntu xfce"), I
do everything therein suggested/recommended, and voila... no glitches...
just blissfully beautiful working machines...

Oh... yes... screen tearing... not in the 10 things to do... But a
search on screen tearing in xibuntu xfce brings up a script with full
explanation and voila... screen tearing's gone.

Kind regards to all

Joao Monteiro