Got to love your humbleness hahaha...

But yeah, I understand what you're saying. But read my idea again please...

It's not so far fetched or dreamy as it may sound snd it's doable... if the
major players are willing to join efforts to pull it off.

A real building with a real setup like mentioned.

We have charities for everything... foundations, etc... why not one for
that very educational purpose?

The jungle of distros can remain unaffected and actually come to beneffit
and improve by the fresh minds brought in via the kindergarden...

Again... just an idea...

But yeah... greed would have to be absent, good will and voluntary work
engaged... yeah... I'm a dreamer, am I not?

Tda ;)

On 13 Jul 2017 20:29, "MR ZenWiz" <mrzen...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 9:35 AM, Joao Monteiro <jmonteiro...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Ohhh.... I soooo agree with you both, David & Fred (btw, welcome back
David,
> hope you are well my friend).
>
> I have for my whole life stating that the only constant in Life is
Change. I
> stand for it.
>
> But hey... picture this...
>
> This is exactly what I meant by having the major players joining together
> produce let's say a "basic" linux distro that incorporates the most useful
> common denominators to them all.

There is such a ground floor - it's called Linux.

However, that ground floor does not include the commands that are an
essential part of using the OS, so those, typically the GNU basic
utilities, need to be included.  that doesn't even allow for
development, which is another level, a mezzanine of sorts, that has to
underlie the rest.

Then we have a first floor, if you will, that only geeks and those
familiar with how to use these tools and commands can use.  This might
be referred to as a Debian distribution, or a RHEL Server
distribution, neither of which is suitable for most Windows users or
any other Linux newbies who aren't technically inclined and have a
huge desire to learn a lot.  Many of these don't include a GUI at all.

And so on into the various different Debian/RH derivatives (or Arch or
other low levels with others built on top).  Ubuntu sits on top of
Debian, and Mint sits on top of Ubuntu, whereas Fedora sits on top of
RH, and there's KDE, which can run on many different distros and is
largely aimed at hard-core techies, and I don't know enough about all
the other distros to comment further.

My point is that we reached this jungle of distros because they all
have somewhat different levels of a) familiarity required and/or b)
ease of transition from other OSes, especially Windows.

>From my current perspective, if someone wants to make the jump from
Windows to Linux, I'd recommend Mint, as it is very close in look and
feel to Windows, yet it has obvious Linux look-and-feel and power with
a moderately friendly GUI.

As for transition from MAC, that's a different story because the whole
approach and a lot of the look and feel is very different from
Windows.  The main junction is the emphasis of a GUI over commands,
and the MAC is just as much aimed in that direction as Windows (or
possibly vice-versa, since Windows came from Apple's original GUI,
which came from Xerox).

If you look outside the Linux universe, there is little
standardization of "distros" other than Microsoft's and Apple's' rigid
proprietary controls.  UNIX distros vary just as widely (e.g., look at
HP vs AIX vs Sun/Oracle and so on - remember BSD vs AT&T?).

We won't achieve a "unified" system base unless and until we have
either a monopoly that actually runs ALL computers, or a far better
educational system that teaches everyone how to use a computer well
enough to learn from the real unified level (Linux kernel & GNU
utilities) up.

All of the above IMNSHO, of course...

MR