I tried manjaro once but I had lots of troubles with the hardware. Don't
get me wrong, they could all have been sorted via the cli, but being a
rookie at linux it was just too confusing to me at the time and the help
was scattered all over...

That really discouraged me a bit, I got to admit. Then somewhere down the
line stumbled upon Mate and that was the one that gave me the final boost
of determination of not giving up on learning linux.

Still very fond and grateful of it for that very reason. And their
community is also very warm and helpful like this one.

I strongly believe that the only thing that is actually needed to assist
windows users in transitioning to linux is well organized, coherent help
file/book/system in a not-too-in-depth nor to-vague style, that is easily
accessible no matter which distro one can choose.

And yet... I also strongly believe that distros like Mate, Mint and without
a doubt xubuntu with xfce are the best bridge for any windows user to take
the plunge.

My tda opinion, of course...

But I pray xubuntu lives long and healthy... :)