On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 21:44:48 +0100, Peter Flynn wrote:
>On 07/12/2017 08:45 PM, Joao Monteiro wrote:
>> I have been using Turbocad for nearly two decades and rely heavily
>> on it for my electric schematics. Sadly, the software
>> authors/company never provided any drivers for linux. And after a
>> fairly deep search for alternatives, the odd couple of them
>> available are exceedingly inadequate and unstable in behaviour for
>> my cad needs.
>
>Have you tried Codeweavers WINE? It's a well-supported commercial fork
>of WINE, which provides a Windows environment inside Linux/Mac. I use
>it on the occasions where I specifically need to use Microsoft Word
>instead of Libre Office. I think it's $50 or something like that. You
>will need a fast machine with lots of memory but IMHO it's well worth
>it.

I just noticed that I confused CAD with CNC. So if real-time abilities
aren't important, than indeed using wine or a VM should do the job.
However, for PCB design there's eagle available for Linux and for
perfboard design there's DIYLC available for Linux. I've got both
installed but IIRC I only once used GIMP for a perfboard layout. Eagle
seems to be usable for multi-layer PCBs.

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ pacman -Qi eagle diylc | grep URL
URL             : http://www.autodesk.com/products/eagle
URL             : https://code.google.com/p/diy-layout-creator/