On 12/01/2017 10:06 AM, Daniel Wastak wrote:
> Fred,
>
> Here is another link explaining how to use refind
>
> ~> refind <http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/linux.html> <~

I think you were definitely right about it being something to do with
the BIOS, because what I tried was installing Xubuntu in a VirtualBox
VM running under Debian, using the same DVD as I'd used to try the
full installation, and it worked flawlessly.

It seems to be a bit more complicated than you suggest, though

> Turns out UEFI doesn't like grub2

because Debian seems to be using grub2 as well, and as I said
previously, doing a Debian installation using (near as dammit) the
same parameters, disks, etc still works flawlessly.

Anyway, I now have an environment where I can take a look at Xubuntu,
which was the aim in the first place, albeit I won't take much notice
of the response speed! :)

Thanks for the help, folks.

Brian.