On 12/02/2017 07:46 AM, I wrote:

Well, I eventually found an answer to all this. The lockup occurs any
time that I try to install the bootloader to one of my large (4 TB)
drives. However, if I put the bootloader on my sole remaining 1.5 TB
drive, the installtion process works flawlessly. This would also
account for it working in the virtual machine, of course!

I don't *KNOW* that the problem will occur with any drive of 2TB or
larger, but it sure seems the most likely guess for a transition
point. :)

And no, it was NOT possible to get to the loop when trying to install
to the 4TB drive and then tell the installer to switch to the 1.5 TB
drive. That didn't get me out of the loop. I suspect that part of the
installer's code is also broken.

I noticed someone posting with this same problem (the loop) on the
Ubuntu forums, so I just posted a message there with my suspicions
about the drive size.

Brian.

(now running on Ubuntu Studio, BTW, I have to install XFCE at some
point, I have a use for a lot of the Studio programs but I hate the
default interface ).