On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 4:35 PM, Peter Flynn <pe...@silmaril.ie> wrote:

> On 02/01/18 20:52, leegold wrote:
>
>> in addition it says: gpt
>>

> All I can offer is what I found when installing on a Dell XPS 15
>
> GPT is some type of partition format, I think. I had to use gparted while
> booted from the USB in order to reformat with gpt.
>
> On Tue, Jan 2, 2018, at 11:50 AM, leegold wrote:
>>
>>> What should I know to install  16.04 64 onto a Toshiba laptop with UEFI?
>>>

> I was told several times (and I had concluded anyway) that I should *not*
> use UEFI.
>
> Or should I install newest non-LTS 17.10 version (but I read there were
>>> some nasty issues with UEFI and 17.10).
>>>
>>> Do I need to disable secure boot? Assume I do.
>>>

> I set the BOOS to secure boot disabled, and legacy boot enabled (ie no
> UEFI). That worked.
>
> Shrunk C: for Linux space. The HD has 5 partitions. From “left to right”:
>>>
>>>      300MB Recovery
>>>      100MB EFI System
>>>      C: 500GB “where the exiting Win10 lives”
>>>      92GB Unallocated, gained from shrinking C:, aim to put / and swap
>>> parts. there.
>>>      891MB Recovery
>>>

> My assumption would be that the 4th partition is the one that needs
> establishing as GPT before formatting. But I may have misunderstood this,
> as I was using the whole disk.
>
> From what I read Grub has to “play nice” with EFI. My question is, when
>>> I install, where do I install Grub? What do I do? I see an EFI partition
>>> and don’t want to “hose” anything. There are lots of recopies and
>>> concoctions when I google.
>>>

> I don't know the answer to this as it's a dual boot. I assume that Linux
> installers will see that Windows is installed, and put a working Grub on
> the boot area of the primary partition. Apparently in a single-install
> (Linux-only), the installers no longer create a boot partition but install
> Grub on the main partition.
>
> But again, this is largely guesswork on my part — as you say, the web
> pages disagree wildly.
>
> ///Peter
>

> --

FWI, this article should shine some light into the process:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

Ubuntu being the parent to Xubuntu should clear some information up.
Personally, if you had it to spare I would pull the original HDD and put
another in (any small HDD of 50GB+ would do) to at least practice the dual
boot unless you can protect the recovery partition.  In Linux avoiding it
is usually straight forward.  Wish I had more info.  I burned all my
Windows machines some time ago and went with Linux like Cortez and his
ships.  I have helped business clients build dual boot systems, though it
has been a minute. HIT.

Fred