On Sat 2018-10-20 (11:59), Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 11:03:31 +0200, Ulli Horlacher wrote:
>
> >The xmodmap command itself is fast, produces no messages at all and
> >terminates with exit code 0.
> >
> >Xorg is running on high CPU for several minutes, as before.
> >
> >What is going on there?
>
> Is it a large $HOME/.Xmodmap?

Yes:

https://fex.rus.uni-stuttgart.de/fop/DivoPzOd/_.Xmodmap

framstag@diaspora:~: wc .Xmodmap
  269  1632 10452 .Xmodmap

> Btw. my Ubuntu (not Xubuntu) does use
> lightdm and openbox (no DE) and has got no X rc file in $HOME. You
> aren't doing something double and triple?

I have configured my X keyboard heavily, but it has worked for many, many
years - until now :-(

I have also another BIG problem:
Alt-F1 ... Alt-F10 is switching to the VT console 1 .. 10
Without using the control key!
So, I cannot use the XFCE functions on Alt-F1 ... Alt-F10 any more :-(

For example: Alt-F6 should maximize a window vertically, but it switches
to the VT (text) console 6!

Though I have:

framstag@diaspora:~: xmodmap -pke | grep F6
keycode  72 = F6 NoSymbol F6

BUT this beviour only appears some time after login!
Shortly after login Alt-F6 works as expected.
Something is messing up my keyboard, but what and why?

--
Ullrich Horlacher              Server und Virtualisierung
Rechenzentrum TIK