On 2/23/19 11:30 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 11:06:05 -0600, Len Philpot wrote:
>> So far, changing desktop and window manager themes hasn't made a
>> difference
>
> Does those themes include default GNOME themes, that fit to the used GTK
> versions?
>
> I'm using Ubuntu 16.04, as well as Arch Linux, a rolling release close
> to upstream.
>
> On both distros I don't use XFCE4, just openbox and several GTK2 and
> GTK3 apps.
>
> Regarding GTK Ubuntu 16.04 flavours are outdated for the good.
>
> On Arch Linux I maintain my own customized GTK theme, based upon the Arc
> theme, which is similar to an old Adwaita theme.
>
> You most likely will dislike a new Adwaita theme, that fits to new
> versions of GTK, but for testing purpose, make sure you used Adwaita or
> what ever else is provided by the GNOME default themes.
>
> Almost all of the good old GTK themes are broken nowadays and
> discontinued by upstream, since nearly nobody is willing to follow the
> insane changes that happened even within GTK _dot_ releases.

It looks like you are using a theme that doesn't like your
appearance/window manager setup. Your themes seem to work with your
gnome apps like Geary and Evolution but not with the non-gnome apps.

I would try different themes via via Settings | Appearance | Style and
Settings | Window Manager | Style.

In the former, I use Greybird. In the latter I use Ambiance-Flat-Pink.

As Ralf indicates, gtk2/3 themes do NOT play well with each other across
desktops. So, you need to be careful which ones you select when you
start using apps that jump across desktop/wm variations.

- Victor

Victor Forberger
vforber...@fastmail.fm
blog: http://linuxatty.wordpress.com