On 2/15/23 07:29, Peter Flynn wrote:
I don't know if this is hardware, OS, or X.

I have been running Mint 20.2 on a Dell XPS 15 laptop for a few years and it's been fine. It's set to Suspend when the lid gets closed (both on power and on battery) and that's exactly what it was doing. Lifting the lid brought back the lock screen where I could give my password to continue.

Suddenly, about 4 months ago, lifting the lid brought back the screen I was working on, all windows visible, for about 1½–2 seconds, then it blanked and the power button flashed briefly, exactly like a shutdown. But pressing the power button brought back the lock screen, and I could give my password and continue OK.

It was unexpected, but it didn't worry me unduly, even less when after about a month it went back to behaving as it ought.

Now it has started doing it again (about 2 weeks ago). There have of course been periodic apt upgrades, and of course I didn't note the dates because the change in behaviour wasn't a problem.

Has anyone else had this happen?

I have the same issues on my Galago Pro System 76 laptop running Xubuntu 22.04.1 LTS.

Indeed, my wait is usually 30 seconds or so before I get the screensaver login screen again.

The issue seems to be that laptop lid closure is no longer triggering sleep in the correct fashion or order, and so the login screen is delayed.

Note that you can Ctrl-Alt-F1 and login to another instance of your system. Ctrl-Alt-F7 will bring you back to the frozen display until the login screen re-asserts itself.

If I select sleep first before closing the lid, the problem does not occur.

My guess is that it is a bug in the screensaver/login screen.

But, given my workload of late, I have not had time to delve into the problem. Instead, I just make sure to select sleep first before closing the lid.

-Victor
Victor Forberger
vforber...@fastmail.fm
blog: http://linuxatty.wordpress.com