Hello,

  allow me to highlight the latest interview with
Miguel de Icaza, co-founder of Gnome, Ximian and Mono.

  Miguel writes:

Microsoft realises today that Linux is competing for
some of the green pastures that it's been enjoying for
so long; I think that Longhorn is a big attempt to
take back what they owned before. Longhorn has kind of
a scary technology called Avalon, which when
compounded with another technology called XAML, it's
fairly dangerous. And the reason is that they've made
it so it's basically an HTML replacement. The
advantage is it's probably as easy as writing HTML, so
that means that anybody can produce this content with
a text editor.

It's basically an HTML Next Generation. A lot more
widgets, a lot more flexibility, more richer
experience - way, way richer experience. You get
basically the native client experience with Web- like
deployments. So you develop these extremely rich
applications but they can be deployed as easily as the
Web is. It's just like going to a URL: you go to
Google, and you get the Web page and it works. So it's
the same deployment model but the user interface
interaction is just fantastic.

Of course, the only drawback is that this new
interaction is completely tied to .Net and WinFX. So
we see that as a very big danger. A lot of people
today cannot migrate to Linux or cannot migrate to
Mozilla because a lot of their internal Web sites
happen to use IE extensions. Now imagine a world where
you can only use XAML.

It's massive - I'm so scared.

Source:
http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2004/04/28/interview_with_miguel_de_icaza_cofounder_of_gnome_ximian_and_mono.html

  What's your take on it? Do you buy the official
Microsoft party line that Avalon XAML is *not* a HTML
Next Generation thingy at all but that Avalon XAML is
just a new way to build Windows 2007 applications and
that's it. Or are you scared like Miguel because
Avalon XAML is so massive? Do you think anybody cares?

    Let us know what you think.

   - Gerald