Hello,

--- Laurent Jouanneau wrote:

> The goal of HTML and the goal of XAML/XUL are very
> very very different.

  Well, allow me to quote Rob Relyea (Avalon Program
Manager, XAML "spec owner", Avalon Architect Team
Member). Here we go:

  XAML is a markup language that can be used on
Longhorn for many things including creating desktop
apps, *web pages*, and *printable documents*.

  [Clearly Avalon XAML wants to replace HTML (that is,
web pages) and PDF (that is, printable documents) with
its Windows-only XML format.]

> HTML : to publish content
> XAML/XUL : to do user interface for application.
>
> XAML or XUL will replace HTML, but only in web
> *application*. Not in web *site*.
>
> keep this distinction in mind.

  Well, allow me to quote from the Longhorn SDK
document titled "Introduction to Adaptive-flow Format
Documents"

  Why the need for Adaptive-flow Format?

  The advent of the World Wide Web posed several
challenges for designers. Print media never required
the adapting of layout to different media shapes.
However, when pages were viewed using the World Wide
Web, it was impossible to predict the size of the
window in which the document would be viewed or the
personal preferences that would be selected by the
viewer. As a consequence, a document that looked great
in one format might display poorly on another. While
HTML and Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) made strides
toward remedying this situation, the results were
often less than ideal because the specifications were
applied without regard to the readability of the page.

 Source:
http://longhorn.msdn.microsoft.com/lhsdk/docservices/overviews/edocs_adaptive.aspx

  And here's an Avalon XAML markup sample:

<TextPanel Background="white">
  <Section>
    <Heading>Adaptive-flow-format Example</Heading>
       <Paragraph>This example shows the advanced
capabilities of adaptive-flow format. Lorem ipsum
dolor sit amet,
 consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh
euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat
volutpat. Ut
wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation
ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea
commodo consequat.
 Duis autem vel eum iriure.</Paragraph>
       <Paragraph>Notice how images and text are
flowed intelligently to enhance the reading
experience. Lorem ipsum dolor
 sit amet, consectetuer dipiscing elit, sed diam
nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna
aliquam erat volutpat.
 Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci
tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip
ex ea commodo consequat.
 Duis autem vel eum iriure.</Paragraph>
       <Paragraph>Adaptive-flow format is an exciting
new feature. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer
adipiscing
 elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut
laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi
enim ad minim veniam,
 quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit
lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis
autem vel eum
 iriure.</Paragraph>
  </Section>
</TextPanel>