Hello,

  Jon Udell has written a column in the strategic
developer series titled "Thin clients and rich data:
BEA’s Alchemy promises mobile users a blend of
browser-based ease and rich functionality" over at
InfoWorld.

    Jon writes:

   In the rich vs. reach debate, rich usually means a
user interface more responsive and more coherent than
a browser’s. Prime contenders in the rich-client
struggle are Java, .Net, and Flash. All three can be
used natively or as renderers for a new breed of tools
— from Altio, Digital Harbor, Droplets, Laszlo, among
others — which create GUI applications for these
platforms. Meanwhile, developers in the trenches know
that rumors of the browser’s death are greatly
exaggerated. The browser continues to deliver a killer
combination of reach plus ease of learning and use,
with simplicity of development, no-touch deployment,
and continuous update.

  In its modern incarnation, the browser can connect
to Web services, query and transform local XML data,
and dynamically inject results into a live page. I’ve
long thought we could be getting a lot more mileage
out of these capabilities than we do. BEA’s chief
architect Adam Bosworth thinks so, too, and a project
code-named Alchemy (unveiled last week at BEA eWorld
2004) aims to prove it.

  More @
http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/06/11/24OPstrategic_1.html

  What's your take on Alchemy? Is a better client-side
cache supporting HTML templates, web services,
scripting and more the way to get more out of Internet
Explorer?

    - Gerald