On 2012-06-11 Christoph Biedl wrote:
> A while ago I considered asking for a few --force-* options that allow
> finer control about what things are acceptable that usually are not.
> Their names would be something like --force-overwrite,
> --force-symlink, --force-links and so on. That would allow overriding
> xz's sane defaults in certain aspects only without using --force and
> doing something potientially really harmful and undesired.

It's not hard to add these, but I'm unsure how useful these would be in
practice. Maybe you had some specific use case in mind.

Anyway, special --force-foo switches aren't the answer to the original
question of what --keep should do. If you need it often, it isn't
practical enough to type such long options on the command line when "xz
-k foo" or "xz -kf foo" could be enough.

--
Lasse Collin  |  IRC: Larhzu @ IRCnet & Freenode