John,

Thanks for the note.  Map projections are one of my personal
interests... though I admit to approaching the topic with rather more
enthusiasm than finesse. I'm going to try to resist the temptation to
get carried away by a discussion of cartography on this data
compression mailing list (well, I'm going to try).  I will say that my
library supports projected coordinate systems and accepts Well-Known
Text (WKT) specifications as metadata.  But, really, my focus is on
developing lossless data compression tools for all sorts of raster
data, including both integer data and real-valued surfaces (fields).
Geophysical information is a natural topic because so much data is so
readily available.  Incidentally, with the addition of LZMA for
high-resolution SRTM elevation data,  compression rates are running
about 1.9 bits per sample (more or less, depending on the terrain).

Gary

P.S. That was an interesting note about UTM being in use for 70 years.
I had no idea...  The math has been around for a long time (I think
Lambert invented it and Gauss made important refinements), but the
transformation is so complex that I wouldn't have expected it to take
hold until well into the computer era.

P.P.S. The original posting in this thread mentioned the  FAQ
document. If you'd like to read more about what the GVRS software is
attempting, it's a good place to start
https://github.com/gwlucastrig/gridfour/wiki/A-GVRS-FAQ