On 2022-11-23 John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> So, for now, we should build the static library with
> "--disable-symbol-versions".

An ugly workaround in upstream could be to make configure fail on
GNU/Linux if both shared and static libs are about to be built. That
is, show an error message describing that one thing has to be built at
a time. It's not pretty but with Autotools I don't see any other way
except dropping the RHEL/CentOS 7 compat symbols completely. Static
libs shouldn't have symbol versions (no matter which arch), somehow it
just doesn't always create problems.

That is, it would be mandatory to use either --disable-static or
--disable-shared to make configure pass. Or would it be less bad to
default to shared-only build and require the use of both
--disable-shared --enable-static to get static build? I don't like any
of these but I don't have better ideas.

Thoughts?

--
Lasse Collin