Hi Lasse!

On 11/23/22 20:52, Lasse Collin wrote:
On 2022-11-23 John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
So, for now, we should build the static library with
"--disable-symbol-versions".

An ugly workaround in upstream could be to make configure fail on
GNU/Linux if both shared and static libs are about to be built. That
is, show an error message describing that one thing has to be built at
a time. It's not pretty but with Autotools I don't see any other way
except dropping the RHEL/CentOS 7 compat symbols completely. Static
libs shouldn't have symbol versions (no matter which arch), somehow it
just doesn't always create problems.

Well, Debian builds both the static and dynamic libraries in separate steps,
so I'm not sure whether the autotools build system would be able to detect
that.

That is, it would be mandatory to use either --disable-static or
--disable-shared to make configure pass. Or would it be less bad to
default to shared-only build and require the use of both
--disable-shared --enable-static to get static build? I don't like any
of these but I don't have better ideas.

I would make --enable-static and --enable-symbol-versions mutually exclusive
so that the configure fails if both are enabled.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer