I am sorry, but merging a potentially disruptive change to branch-2 without
end-to-end tests seems too disruptive to me.

I do agree with you on the potential inconvenience of having to post
different patches for trunk and branch-2, but I would rather have that
inconvenience than the risk of merging something that hasn't been
thoroughly tested.