Morning Star.png

 

 

Turkey 'Urging War' To Settle Nagorno Issue

 

 

James Tweedie, The Morning Star, London, 23 April 2016

 

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov accused Turkey yesterday of stirring
up war between Azerbaijan and Armenia.

 

He was speaking after meeting his Armenian counterpart Eduard Nalbandyan to
discuss the recent renewed conflict in the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region.

 

"The statements of the Turkish leadership are absolutely unacceptable," Mr
Lavrov said. 

 

"These were the calls not for peace but for war. These were calls to resolve
the conflict by military means."

 

"Unfortunately, we have got accustomed to such 'twists' of the current
Turkish leadership," he said.

 

Earlier, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan accused the Minsk Group of
Russia, France and the United States of "inaction" on the Nagorno-Karabakh
issue.

 

Mr Nalbandyan said the recent fighting had pushed back talks over the
contested territory.

 

"A serious blow to security and stability was dealt," he said. "But one
should think about how to overcome these consequences, although some things
are irreparable - the deaths."

 

"These events have pushed the negotiating process backwards," he said.

 

The two former Soviet republics have been in dispute over the
majority-Armenian oblast of Nagorno-Karabakh in Azerbaijan since 1988,
before the dissolution of the Soviet Union.

 

The two countries went to war in 1994, since when the region has been under
Armenian jurisdiction.

 

Fighting flared up again on April 2, with dozens killed as Azeri forces
tried to reoccupy the area. Turkey backed Azerbaijan's position.

 

Russia, which has treaty obligations to Armenia and a military base in the
country, joined the US, France and Iran in mediating a truce.

 

Last summer, the Armenian capital Yerevan saw weeks of anti-government
protests in an apparent attempt at "colour revolution."

 

Earlier yesterday, Mr Lavrov laid a wreath at the Tsitsernakaberd Armenian
genocide memorial, a move sure to antagonise Ankara.

 

Turkey does not accept that the killing of up to 1.5 million ethnic
Armenians by the Ottoman Empire, beginning in 1915 and lasting several
years, was an act of genocide.

 

Earlier this week the pro-Turkish FactCheckArmenia.com group drew fire when
it took out full-page newspaper and prominent billboard adverts in the US,
including in the Wall Street Journal and New York's Times Square, implying
that Armenia and Russia were lying about the atrocities.

 

 

From:
<http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-31ce-Turkey-urging-war-to-settle-Nagor
no-issue#.VxsWmvl9600>
http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-31ce-Turkey-urging-war-to-settle-Nagorn
o-issue#.VxsWmvl9600

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-- 
-- 
You are subscribed. This footer can help you.
Please POST your comments to [email protected] or reply to this 
message.
You can visit the group WEB SITE at 
http://groups.google.com/group/yclsa-eom-forum for different delivery options, 
pages, files and membership.
To UNSUBSCRIBE, please email [email protected] . You 
don't have to put anything in the "Subject:" field. You don't have to put 
anything in the message part. All you have to do is to send an e-mail to this 
address (repeat): [email protected] .

--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"YCLSA Discussion Forum" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to