I think it's mostly by convention rather than standard. I usually just install whatever software package and watch the logs to see how bad it is, and then write the author.


It can be pretty painful in general. There was a quicksilver app that fetches posts/all every minute or two. But generally, the worst are the server-based ones. One of the popularity republishing things hits the front page once a minute. Technorati appears to hit once a second or so for the tags thing. I'm still on the fence about what to do about those last two.

-j

--
joshua schachter
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://del.icio.us

On Sat, 7 May 2005, Ron Perry wrote:

Thanks.  I'm using libxml2 and so far it's not bad.

BTW - as someone developing tools for del.icio.us, I want to do my best to
conform with the guidelines you set out in the api description (e.g.,
identifying my application correctly in the user-agent field, making sure I
don't overload the server, etc.).  Is there some way I can find out if my
app isn't doing anything "not nice" to the servers?  E.g., some sort of
validation service (like the W3C's HTML validation service)?   Also, since
my app is a windows client and not a web service, I don't have any server
logs, and can only tell what my own copies of the application are doing -
not those run by other users.  Therefore, I can't easily tell if on some
user's PC's the application is issuing bad requests, so it would be
wonderful to be able to receive a report from del.icio.us on any misbehavior
noticed by the server.

-RP
---------------------
Ron Perry
Blog: http://ronp001.blogspot.com
tagSense.net:  http://www.tagsense.net


-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua Schachter [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2005 9:50 PM
To: Ron Perry
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [delicious-discuss] tags in /api/posts/all
result not in UTF-8


There's something wierd about the XML library I am using. I'll replace it soon.

-j

--
joshua schachter
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://del.icio.us

On Thu, 5 May 2005, Ron Perry wrote:

I'm issuing a "/api/posts/all" query. The URL descriptions
come back
correctly in UTF-8, but the tag string seems to be in some
other encoding.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

-RP
---------------------
Ron Perry
Blog: http://ronp001.blogspot.com
tagSense.net:  http://www.tagsense.net

--
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.11.4 - Release Date: 5/4/2005


_______________________________________________ discuss mailing list [email protected] http://lists.del.icio.us/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/discuss



-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.11.5 - Release Date: 5/4/2005



-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.11.6 - Release Date: 5/6/2005



_______________________________________________
discuss mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.del.icio.us/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/discuss

Reply via email to