On 12/22/05, Chris Lott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 12/22/05, Mike Nowak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Tag intersections already do this, in a way.
>
> If you tag something "science fiction", and you want to find something
> marked "science" and "fiction", then you just look at
>
> http://del.icio.us/tag/science+fiction
>
> As far as I'm concerned, this makes it more accurate since it'll not
> only show up as "science+fiction" but "science" and "fiction" too,
> which is a small but useful difference.

This is much more true of some compounds (like "science fiction") than
others, like "white house" or "pop art" -- but I don't see the problem
with running such things together if desired?

Actually, I just looked at http://del.icio.us/tag/click+fraud for the first time this morning, found nothing, and so checked /clickfraud, where I found a bunch of stuff.

Long term, I expect *some* solution to the problem of having to look at both /science+fiction and /sciencefiction in order to check what is essentially one thing. A bigger problem - as oft discussed here - JohnKerry, John_Kerry, John.Kerry, John+Kerry, vs. even John-Kerry, I guess - worse yet (in so many ways!) GeorgeBush, GeorgeWBush, George_Bush, George_W_Bush, etc., etc., etc....

Not easy to solve this, I don't think. Cf. all of the arguments *against* doing this sort of thing, and the UI issues - do you just do it? or do you let users control it?... Hence, "long term."

But doesn't del's "fraternal twin" - if I'm remembering the _expression_ correctly - already do this sort of thing? If so, I'd think del would follow suit in short order.... In fact, I see that they're doing the "cluster" thing over there. I won't bother trying to paraphrase how this works - particularly since I haven't looked into it - but suffice it to say that "john kerry" brings up photos tagged "johnkerry"

Aside: Interesting to wonder whether the user bases of Flicker and del are different enough that the optimal UI for each community might be different. I.e., perhaps better to "just do it" [viz. return things tagged in a variety of ways] when those things are photos, and to give users more control when those things are URLs - since members of these communities may be quite different [not because the things are different per se]. I would expect that this would be a short-term issue - that would disapper as del's user base expands - but it might lead to some growing pains, at least for some users.

Matthew
_______________________________________________
discuss mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.del.icio.us/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/discuss

Reply via email to