I'd just like to reiterate my own personal desire for options of
navigating bookmarks.
1. Allow sorting by alpha or chronological, both ascending and
descending. CLEARLY the guys at del.icio.us recognize that alpha
sorting is important for some things as they allow tag sorting
alphabetically. I'd like to use del.icio.us to throw up links to
items/topics I discuss in my podcast and forcing the people who come
to my delicious page to click "earlier" repeatedly until they find
the link they are looking for means that unless navigation improves,
I'll probably just scrap the idea and put the links on my blog instead.
2. Allow jumping to a specific page in the bookmarks. Again,
"earlier" and "later" are kind of odd considering you are kind enough
to point out what page I'm on in my bookmarks. This is simple stuff.
The ability to jump to a specific page in the list of results is
standard fare and is not difficult to implement.
3. Allow searching within my own results. As I mentioned last time,
it's our data, let us at it however we choose. As web pages all over
and even operating systems are realizing you should not need to know
where something is located to find it, this is basic. I enjoy
searching for tags and finding results from all of delicious, but I'd
like to do the same and let my podcast listeners do the same just
within my own tags. Have a "search only within x's bookmarks" where x
is the name of the account whose bookmarks you are currently looking at.
I really have this to say about the responses to navigation
improvements I've seen in this thread. You should ALWAYS make stuff
as easy to find as possible, and considering the ease of
implementation of the stuff I've listed above, saying that these are
not useful seems like me telling a customer of mine that no, I won't
allow him to search his data or change the order it's displayed in
because I personally don't use those functions. When you create a web
application for people to use, it's supposed to be about how THEY and
others want to access their data, not how you, the programmer, thinks
they should access it. Seriously, if you don't understand this, find
a new line of work because this is a basic principle. Give the client
the data they need and give it to them in a format that makes sense,
and make it easy for them to access.
Reverse chronological ordering of bookmarks only with no ability to
jump to specific pages is an artificial limitation that has no reason
to exist other than that's how the declicious programmers like it,
everyone who uses it and wants basic modern navigational capabilities
be damned.
End of rant. I won't bring it up again unless someone responds to
this and wants to discuss it, but I really don't understand the
resistance. Nothing I've listed above is difficult and it would give
huge increases in usability. If I can use your site for my podcast
topic links, I can drive people to your site who've never really seen
a use for it before. If you make it hard for them to find something I
mention without having to guess how I tagged it, they probably won't
be back to set up their own accounts.
Peace.
Scott
_______________________________________________
discuss mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.del.icio.us/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/discuss