I'm really curious why no one who asks for alphabetical sorting posits
a SPECIFIC use-case scenario. I mean, on the surface I understand why
people ask for this, but then as I think about it I begin to wonder
what the point really is. In the context of this specific request, you
talk about podcast links/links referred to in the podcast. I'm not
sure I understand how alpha-sorting applies. Do you tell people to go
and look at the posts beginning with "P"? I would expect that, were I
to go to your del.cio.us links, I would find links tagged for your
podcast and with additional subject tags. I would expect to see newer
links first. What SPECIFIC need does alpha sort provide? Or maybe I'm
listening and I know there was a link mentioned that had the word
"wikicities" in it-- would I go and browse alphabetically for
www.wickicities.com? or the title where the word is probably not the
first word in the title anyway?

I'm NOT Being hostile, I'm honestly curious. When I direct people to
del.icio.us links I tend to do it in these ways:

to a specific link
to a tag

I'm trying to imagine the scenario in which your users will want to
browse alphabetically rather than contextually. I've never once wanted
to sort my links alphabetically, so maybe it's just foreign to me. I'd
either be directing my users to a specific link X, to all links about
Y, or to links associated with the podcast Z--

Anyway, I'm curious in a very specific manner if you could illustrate
how this would work.

One thing to keep in mind here is that many people ask for things they
feel are useful even when the general usage doesn't show that to be
true. I'm reminded of date-based weblog archives. People get very
upset when they aren't available even though, generally, you'll find
that they are almost never actually used. So it isn't as easy as
saying "these changes would be obviously more usable"-- it is easy to
say "this would obviously provide more variety of access" but that
isn't necessarily a "good" thing. I don't think that creating the SQL
query order is necessarily the issue, though even that raises some
questions as to what exactly is being sorted... the title I presume?
should it handle initial modifiers? what about unicode, etc etc.

At any rate, some specific examples might help make your case. So far
it is pretty abstract and I'm still not seeing the utility.

c
_______________________________________________
discuss mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.del.icio.us/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/discuss

Reply via email to