On Thu, 2020-07-30 at 10:34 +0200, Stefano Babic wrote:
> Hi Zheng,
>
> I do not discuss abot the correctness of these patches (that I will
> aplly to meta-swupdate, -master), but about mtd-utils version (for
> this I pick up Richard in CC). There were in last month more breakage
> around mtd-utils due to patches (required !) that are applied to an
> undefined (from recipe) version of mtd-utils.
>
> In fact, we have mtd-utils_git.bb in poky, and as "git" version, the
> expectation is that it points to TOT. But this is not the case, and
> meta-<layers> outside poky just add some patches to a not well
> defined version.
>
> Should we also replace mtd-utils_git.bb with a more precise
> mtd-utils_2.1.2.bb ?

Adding patches in bbappends is always going to be high maintenance. Are
these patches swupdate specific?

The recipes use "git" in the filename and then set a sepcific SRCREV
and set PV correctly. This is an accepted behaviour. I can see how
renaming the recipe would also help for certain usecases but both are
really correct for different reasons.

I'd also note that git versions in oe-core are always locked down to
something and that something is therefore likely not to be TOT as they
don't get updated frequently enough.

Cheers,

Richard