Hi Richard,

On 30.07.20 12:28, Richard Purdie wrote:
On Thu, 2020-07-30 at 10:34 +0200, Stefano Babic wrote:
Hi Zheng,

I do not discuss abot the correctness of these patches (that I will
aplly to meta-swupdate, -master), but about mtd-utils version (for
this I pick up Richard in CC). There were in last month more breakage
around mtd-utils due to patches (required !) that are applied to an
undefined (from recipe) version of mtd-utils.

In fact, we have mtd-utils_git.bb in poky, and as "git" version, the
expectation is that it points to TOT. But this is not the case, and
meta-<layers> outside poky just add some patches to a not well
defined version.

Should we also replace mtd-utils_git.bb with a more precise
mtd-utils_2.1.2.bb ?

Adding patches in bbappends is always going to be high maintenance. Are
these patches swupdate specific?

Yes, they are. My question was related to mtd recipe in OE-Core.

The recipes use "git" in the filename and then set a sepcific SRCREV
and set PV correctly. This is an accepted behaviour. I can see how
renaming the recipe would also help for certain usecases but both are
really correct for different reasons.

Agree both are correct, but as you said, it can be more messy to maintain in external layers if it is not possible to identify a specific version,

I'd also note that git versions in oe-core are always locked down to
something and that something is therefore likely not to be TOT as they
don't get updated frequently enough.

ok, fine.

Regards,
Stefano