Hi folks,

After a bit of a break I'm looking again at the meta-kernel layer and I've
got some changes planned. I'd like to get some feedback on these from
anyone who has looked at or used the meta-kernel layer.

1) Change the name to meta-vanilla-kernel. This reflects the focus on
providing a fast moving layer for vanilla kernel recipes, covering only
what is available on kernel.org. Other common kernel recipes (e.g. Linaro
or Android common kernels) will no longer be considered for acceptance into
this layer. This clear focus should hopefully reduce some of the confusion
about the goals of this layer.

2) The dunfell branch will no longer get new non-LTS kernel recipes.
Providing non-LTS recipes on a stable branch has led to people depending on
kernels which are now out of their support period - I'd like to drop the
recipes for the 5.3.y and 5.6.y kernels but users are depending on them so
I'll have to keep them. To avoid this proliferating, only LTS kernels and
the bleeding edge mainline recipe will be updated on the stable branch from
now on.

3) Aggressively drop end-of-life kernels on the master branch.

4) Drop all non-LTS kernel recipes in the gatesgarth branch when it is
created.

5) Document the test coverage for meta-kernel. We don't test perf, lttng or
any out-of-tree modules. This layer isn't meant to replace the linux-yocto
recipes, the goals are different. If you're releasing products based on
meta-kernel you obviously need to do your own testing on the components
you're actually using.

6) Document the policy for kernel patches. Patches for the kernel will only
be carried in this layer as a last resort. Kernel patches should be
submitted upstream and go through the usual process for inclusion in the
stable kernel releases.

7) Disable GitLab CI for this layer. It's costing me about £70 per month to
run CI for this layer and I need to eliminate that expense. If anyone can
sponsor this or host the CI service that would be welcome.

8) Add Jon Mason and Ross Burton (both at ARM) as backup maintainers to
reduce the bus factor for the layer. I'll continue to be the primary
maintainer for this layer but this will give some coverage if I'm unable to
continue working on it.

Thanks,

--
Paul Barker