Hi Trevor,

On January 7, 2022 9:12:41 PM GMT+01:00, Trevor Woerner <twoer...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>Hey Quentin,
>
>Wow not bad, I'm batting 0/2 so far… lol!

To be fair, I didn't take the time to formulate correctly and point to the docs
☺️

>On Thu 2022-01-06 @ 08:28:36 PM, Quentin Schulz wrote:
>> On January 6, 2022 2:50:47 PM GMT+01:00, Trevor Woerner <twoer...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> >I don't think --tmpfs is an option, but I modified my kas-container script
>> >add a "--tmpdir /tmp" option (and verified it with ps while running)
>> >

>> https://docs.podman.io/en/latest/markdown/podman-run.1.html#tmpfs-fs
>
>Curious. When I run "podman -h" on the cmdline it only shows a --tmpdir option
>
>       $ podman -h | grep tmp
>               --tmpdir string         Path to the tmp directory for libpod
> state content.
>                                       Note: use the environment variable
> 'TMPDIR' to change the temporary storage location for container images,
> '/var/tmp'.

podman run --help | grep tmp

Does return it though. It's just that some options are specific to subcommands
and not the whole set of supported subcommands. The docs.podman.io website is a
gold mine, I only ever go to that place to find about parameters ☺️

>> I wasn't talking about uids or gids, but pids_limit in containers.conf for
>> podman on your host. See:
>> https://man.archlinux.org/man/containers.conf.5.en
>>
>> We discovered that it just had nothing to do with Bitbake/pseudo or
>> whatever, because with a fork bomb we reached the max of 2048 processes
>> (within the container) before the container started to fail us.
>>
>> Without those two changes, I've never been able to successfully build even
>> core-image-minimal for qemu-x86_64.
>
>Very nice, thanks for the info :-)
>
>In my experiments it seems like all I need is the update to kas-container to
>add "--tmpfs /tmp" to KAS_RUNTIME_ARGS (around line 125). Are you going to
>submit a patch to kas upstream?

Feel free to do it, I don't use kas-container, I use the kas container from
ghcr.io directly so this won't impact me and I wouldn't be able to "maintain"
this part and see if something breaks it. I anyway have as many clues as you
have on why this fixes pseudo issues so I wouldn't be able to write a better
commit log than you'd do.

I'll read the script though to see if I've missed any important parameter to
set.

Re: not needing the pids_limit. It seemed to be ok at first but I'd have
intermittent fails much later in the build. Increasing it made all my problems
go away (well.. for now 😁).

Cheers,
Quentin