Hi Felix,

On 5/13/22 11:25, Felix Knorr wrote:
Hey,
thanks for your help, it's working now. But could you explain, why
adding pkgconf to DEPENDS didn't work?

Sure!

pkgconf-native very likely would have worked, so I'll not talk about pkgconf vs pkgconfig (also because I don't know much about them :) ).

There are multiple "flavors" for recipes. The two most common ones are target and host, in Yocto terms, "normal" recipes (or target recipe) and native recipes.

The difference between both is fundamental. Target recipes are going to be built so that they can be run on the target hardware (usually an embedded device, which very often differs from the CPU architecture used to compile the image). Native recipes are going to be built so their outcome can be used on the CPU architecture used by your building machine (aka host). This is called native because the architecture used to compile something is the same as the architecture of this something after being built. Target recipes are built on your build machine, therefore, you need software compiled for your host architecture to be able to cross-compile for the target (Yocto build system is running on your machine, but the result is supposed to run on a different machine). This means that target recipes depend on native recipes.

For example, if you have a cmake-based project you want to use on your target, you need to run cmake on your build machine. This means cmake needs to be compiled for your build machine. Therefore, your cmake-based project recipe will require cmake-native as dependency.

Any non-target recipe will not make it to the target filesystem and will only be used during compilation for binaries **EXECUTED during compilation**.

By the way, just use inherit pkgconfig instead of adding the dependency manually, it's what is done in poky for all recipes :) (it's doing the same thing, but cleaner, and if some modifications are required later on to fix some issues with pkgconfig, you'll not need to do it yourself and will get the fixes when updating your yocto version).

Let me know if I should rephrase some parts,
Cheers,
Quentin