Hi all,

In the scope of the RFQ, I am currently looking at bug #14737 (adding
support of PEP-517 in recipetool/devtool).

I am quite new to the recipetool/devtool tools and I have several
ideas I would like to discuss before going into development that may
not be appropriate/necessary for the tool.

As of today, from what I understand (please correct me if I am wrong)
'devtool add' supports the creation of recipes for python modules from
their download tarball so something like: devtool add
https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/e4/29/f1e7113ca4632283a76cdbe40b62be860d268fdc0e8eab7216ffaf2aa0ef/subunit-0.0.0a0.tar.gz
works, but:
- the created recipe does NOT takes advantage of the pypi class: the
created recipe will have the SRC_URI variable instead of using
'inherit pypi'
- user has to find the url of the tarball

I think it would be really easier for the user to just use: 'devtool
add https://pypi.org/project/subunit/' This will have several
advantages:
- easier to use
- fetch latest version automatically
- easy to fetch specific version with --version
- can easily detect 'pypi.org' on the url and inherit pypi
- can easily parse the webpage for several informations such as
author, summary, homepage, bugtracker page .. (I know some of them can
be extracted from  setup.py / pyproject.toml, but not always)

Looking at the create_recipe function of
scripts/lib/recipetool/create.py, we can see that code is really git
oriented even if you use a tarball, you go through a bunch of 'if'
that doesn't apply.

I think we can modernize this part of the code. This would also be
useful for perl modules and cpan or rust modules and cargo...

What do you think? Is this something that is worth investigating and
implementing?

Cheers
Julien