On Wed, 1 Nov 2023 at 16:45, <adrian.freiho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think these differences between SDK and bitbake environment are no
> longer required and they have been problematic. I would try to make the
> bitbake environment usable like the eSDK environment was without trying
> to replicate all the details of the eSDK installer such as these
> local.conf settings.

I have now split up the populate_sdk_ext into separate functions [1]
for better maintainability, and the more I think about what to do
next, the more I agree with Adrian. I just don't see why (in a
standard yocto build) would we want to manipulate PATH to provide a
restricted set of tools, or to create a "local.conf+extra stuff"
(locked signatures, esdk tweaks) environment, when existing local.conf
by itself is already working fine, and full set of tools is better
than a restricted one. If we want to add or remove locked signatures,
this can be done with 'bitbake -s lockedsigs' or bblock for specific
recipes only. And SDK's cross-toolchain is accessible via
meta-ide-support/build-sysroots flow.

[1] https://git.yoctoproject.org/poky-contrib/commit/?h=akanavin/sstate-for-all

THAT SAID. I also agree there should be a way to package the 'standard
yocto build' that does not also do 'weird esdk stuff' on top. Just a
tarball that has 'everything', and that you unpack and get a standard
build exactly like the one that was used to produce the tarball.
Something like what Adrian suggested: basically place all information
needed to replicate a build into one place, then either make a tarball
out of it (with sstate for fast builds), or publish it into the
network. We might be able to reuse some of esdk packaging code for
this, or we might not, but I think this is the direction that should
be taken.

Alex