On 13-03-01 03:53 AM, Satya Swaroop Damarla wrote:
Hi Rudy,

Thank you for the basic file... I have a question here... The git
directory is already saved on my work pc. What is the necessity to
download it again? The reason behind my asking this question is, it is
secured and so password is required. So, in order to avoid confusion I
already downloaded it to a directory called
"/home/damarla/linux-skidata.git". So can I just write

SRC_URI = "dir://home/damarla/linux-skidata.git"

I think in the above way I can just simply remove the KSRC and KBRANCH
variables from the linux-skidata.bb <http://linux-skidata.bb> file. The
revision tag is also not required in this cases as we are using the
kernel provided by the company itself, I mean for the first basic build.

The example code that was posted, already does this. KSRC points to
a git repository on your local machine:

   KSRC ?= "<path to>/linux-skidata.git"

And the protocol is set to "file" in the SRC_URI

   SRC_URI = "git://${KSRC};protocol=file;branch=${KBRANCH};name=kernel \
       file://defconfig"

There's nothing more that you need to do.

One more thing is the skidata-carrier_defconfig is already in the
directory git I mentioned above at
"/home/damarla/linux-skidata.git/arch/arm/configs/skidata-carrier_defconfig"
... When compiling the kernel how can we tell the build system to build
the kernel using that specific defconfig file?

Putting the defconfig on the SRC_URI is all that you have to do.

This information is also covered in the quickstart and development
guides .. have you had a look at them ? If you have a look, you'll
see that more options are available with linux-yocto based recipes
(custom or the ones part of oe-core), which will allow you some more
flexibility in handling modifications to the kernel.

Cheers,

Bruce

Thanks Rudy in advance,
Satya

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 9:31 PM, Rudolf Streif