Thanks.

bitbake foo | cat

is most likely to be what I was looking for.  I found the cooker log
shortly after I asked my question.  I'll go look through bitbake and
see what it would take to create a symbolic link to the most recent
logfile, as is done with the logfiles for the individual tasks.

I'll also go see what I can learn about Toaster.

--wpd