* Andre McCurdy <armccu...@gmail.com> [151103 11:34]:

> On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 11:05 PM, Anders Darander <and...@chargestorm.se>
> wrote:
> > * Andre McCurdy <armccu...@gmail.com> [151102 20:35]:

> >> See the "IMAGE_TYPES" variable for a list of rootfs types which are
> >> supported. There's support for creating an uncompressed .tar file, but
> >> I don't see any support for creating a rootfs directory under
> >> tmp/deploy.

> > No, the usual workflow here is to unpack the tar'ed rootfs at a suitable
> > location.

> Indeed. I don't think it's what Roberto was asking for though...

Well, sure, that wasn't what Roberto explicitly was asking for, though
that's a safer way to do what he's after...

After all, if you never learn about best practises, you'll never know...

> >> Depending on your work flow there are a few different solutions
> >> though. You could extend
> >> openembedded-core/meta/classes/image_types.bbclass to do what you want
> >> (e.g. define a new image type or hack "IMAGE_CMD_tar" so that it also
> >> untars rootfs.tar right after creating it).

> > Well, there's some issues with this approach. In order to uncompress the
> > tarball and be able to set owner, group, and permissions on all files,
> > you need to untar the rootfs with root privileges. The same is true when
> > it comes to creating device nodes.

> Enabling CONFIG_DEVTMPFS in the kernel is pretty standard, so for most
> people there are no device nodes in the rootfs tarfile and /dev is an
> empty directory.

Sure, devtmpfs is pretty much standard, though it could nonetheless be
good to know about.

> Extracting rootfs tarfiles as an unprivileged user has always worked
> fine for me. Do you have a specific example where root privileges are
> required?

Well, everything that requires a specific user and permissions. When it
comes to permissions it's likely most if you need to setuid or setgid on
binaries / files / directories.

When you unpack as an unpriviliged user, every file will belong to you.

Thus, the recommended (and safe) way to do this, is to unpack as a
priviliged user.

Cheers,
Anders

--