Thanks, Jim! Your suggestion is *much* more elegant.

Incidentally, I had to restart my computer before it actually worked. I temporarily changed the QS verb to "Run text command in Terminal" and saw it work in the Terminal window, but running it in the shell had no discernable effect on the clipboard. When I tested it again after a restart, it worked well. I'm not sure what went wrong.

Thank you again!
john