1. (How) Is it possible to change the default external editor? (I searched the preferences, the help and the online FAQ with no luck.)

It's an external "Viewer", not "Editor".

Any changes made outside of Yojimbo are not returned to Yojimbo.

2. Since there is no 'make plain text' option, can I just ask will Yojimbo do horrible things to my BBEdit files when I import them?

Actually, look at the bottom of the Format menu for Remove Formatting. That will strip all the formatting from text pasted from rich text environments.

Steve