Dain Sundstrom wrote:
Maybe we can get IONA and IBM to agree here :) I can attempt to push it through IBM (and maybe Andy can try BEA).
The Geronimo (or more correctly, the openejb) transport-level support for the Sun ORB was hooked in primarily using an implementation of Sun's SocketFactory class to choose and create the appropriate transport for a given connection. There were also a couple fairly ugly bits to bypass Sun's incomplete implementation of Policy. These were required to force the generated IORs have a port number of zero when a secure connection was required.

The IBM ORB has a completely different architecture involving a Transport plug-in. We found this slightly more difficult to implement than Sun's SocketFactory class, but was much cleaner, since it could be accomplished using "official" (but undocumented) APIs.

When all was said and done, all that is really needed is 1) a place where Geronimo/openejb can influence the choice of transports and 2) a place to create the actual socket. Actually, it would be nice if the ORB supported 2) itself, and Geronimo was just able to tell the ORB was type of transport was required based on the Geronimo configurations. I'm assuming the "ugly bits" to coerce the IOR construction would not longer be required.

Rick

How does everyone want the transport level features to work in Yoko?

-dain