I have tried xpde several times and although it looks similar, because of licensing it will never be able to achieve the goal of being a XP replacment for those who want that. Its a neat project and they have done a good job of mimicing XP but as limited as it is, it would never be a good replacement for KDE even if it were a perfect duplicate of XP. Hoever, nothing wrong with having it in the repo. Just my 2 cents.
Walter
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of Chakkaradeep C C
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2006 5:37 AM
To: yoper-dev - open minded discussion
Subject: Re: [yoper-dev] regarding xpde

Hi all,

On 3/16/06, Tobias Gerschner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,

2006/3/16, Chakkaradeep C C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> hi all,
>
>  i was going thru lightweight desktops available and i got few like
> FluxBox,Xfce and Xpde.
>
>  Is Xpde the right approach in Linux?...can somebody mimic Windows XP
> interface and make lookalike and still M$ be silent?..is there no licensing
> issues?...
>
>  If Xpde is good and worth a try, should yoper try to build in it?

There's also the question , who`s actually doing it :)

and i also want to add few things,

1) Xpde is jsut in the Beta Stage.
2) We dont have proper apps for configuring and other stuffs as how other lightweight desktops have
3) I personally feel Xfce can be easily be used as the lightweight desktop optional to KDE or Gnome.
4) There are so many plugins available for Xfce to make it wonderful.In my Yoper, Xfce does not take much time to load KDE apps too..so thats also an advantage.

comments are invited....

regards

--
Tobias Gerschner
Member of Board of Yoper Ltd. NZ

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.

Regards,
Chaks,
Yoper Ltd.
http://www.yoper.com
http://www.yoper.com/forum
--
The main aim of communication is clarity and simplicity. Simplicity means focussed effort.