I hear the Varese influence on Frank in his use of percussion
and atonal use of instruments. But Frank wore his influences on his sleeve when it comes to Varese and Stravinsky both.

Is Poeme Electronique the one with the firehorns in it?
Another interesting work by Varese- Poeme Electronique- modified
taped and electronic effects created for a World's Fair exhibit I
believe. Perhaps a clue to Zappa's fascination with taped tidbits
punctuating his comedy music.
My original exposure to Varese (via Zappa referral) was on vinyl-
Robert Craft conducting.
BTW, there are two versions of Density 21.5- 21.5 pertaining to the
density of platinum. Varese composed the piece for the inaugural
presentation of the platinum flute. There is a detailed analysis of
the composition found on Wikipedia- look it up as Density 21.5.
--- In Zappa-List@yahoogroups.com, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Actually my copy of Ionisation includes Octandre and Density (I
seem to recall it listed as "Densities" but could be mistaken). But
I've never heard Ameriques. I'll take a look at Overstock and check
the prices. Thanks for the tip.
>   Overstock.Com has two Edgar Varese recordings, both featuring
>   Ionisation and Deserts. If you aren't familiar with Ameriques, I
would
>   highly recommend it- a gargantuan wall of 20th century symphonic
>   sound. One of the recordings features Density 21.5, a
magnificnet
>   flute solo, very fluidic modern melodies.
>
>   --- In Zappa-List@yahoogroups.com, <mr_and_mrs_skull@> wrote:
>   >
>   > "Question 4- any Varese fan's out there?"
>   >
>   > Yes. Have Ionisation and Deserts. Need to get them on Cd
though. My
>   turntable is a thing of the past. Someone needs to a complete
Varese
>   box set.
>   >
>   > Mr. Skull