>     Never really struck me as a valid explanation, this question of "rights".
>  My
> understanding of copyright is that anybody can cover anybody else's songs as
> long as
> the proper royalties are paid, where applicable.  This was further expanded
> back in the
> eighties when 2 Live Crew appropriated "Born In The USA" as a theme for one
> of their
> raps, where it was decided that even in a parody one doesn't need to get
> prior permission > to use the composed tune.

Anyone can legally do a straight cover version, with minimal changes
to fit the artist (such as changing 'he' for 'she' or whatever), of a
previously published song. Anyone can also do a parody of a song
without legal permission. However, changing the lyrics to satirical
ones, if not parodying the song in question, is illegal. If I
rerecorded a Coldplay song and gave it satirical lyrics about Tony
Blair, I would need Coldplay's permission. If I rerecorded the same
song, and gave it lyrics about how bad Coldplay were, I wouldn't, and
it would count as parody. The parody exception has always existed in
law.

There was a decision in the 80s involving a band sampling Pretty
Woman, but I'm having computer problems and can't hunt down the
reference.

--
The National Pep - Pop Music To Hurt You Forever
http://myspace.com/thenationalpep

MP3s now up

http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/yXLolB/TM