Hi

On 2014-01-05 13:46:11, zathura-pwmt....@stefan-klinger.de wrote:
> Recently, however, I've realised that running `zathura` for the first time
> also launches the following *five* processes (observed via `top`):
>
>     dbus-launch --autolaunch 0389ea1a1cc648c096dbf2ebed9276de --binary-syntax
> --close-stderr
>
>     /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 7 --session
>
>     /usr/lib/at-spi2-core/at-spi-bus-launcher
>
>     /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --config-file=/etc/at-spi2/accessibility.conf
> --nofork --print-address 3
>
>     /usr/lib/at-spi2-core/at-spi2-registryd --use-gnome-session
>
> These processes continue after zathura terminates.  The do not go away until
> the end of my session.  For a lightweight tool, I find this quite surprising,
> and frankly, I don't like unnecessary processes running in the background.  So
> here are my questions:
>
>   1. Why are these deamons started?

Because GTK+ 3 starts the AT bridge automatically. Since you do not
appear to have a D-Bus session running, this will also cause a D-Bus
session to be started. Note this will happen with any GTK+ 3
application, not only zathura.

>   2. Can I avoid them being started?
>
>       - If so, how?

Setting NO_AT_BRIDGE=1 in your environment should stop GTK+ 3 from
starting the AT bridge.

Regards
--
Sebastian Ramacher