From: mike brown <uerusub...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Zen] Zen and the Brain
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, 24 October, 2010, 4:49

Bill!,

Well, I can't speak for others, but this zen practioner finds such
articles both interesting and helpful. Science helps us get down to the 'nuts
and bolts' of how and why things are what they are. I'm not completely *all*
for the jettisoning of the more traditional/arcane side of Zen and meditation
(I also like the gongs and incense etc), but an understanding of what
physically/mentally happens to us as a result of meditation weakens the grip of
the supernatural/esoteric aspects sometimes afforded to Zen/zen. If we think,
and appreciate, that science has helped us debunk most religious dogma and
superstition, then I find it hypocritical to not turn the light of science on
zen. Or perhaps we'd secretly like to keep zen "cool and mysterious"... ; )

Mike